Sunday, December 04, 2005

Present Sufferings

I can't describe to you what heaven will be like. I can't even imagine it myself. A little gem from the sermon this morning, or rather from Romans 8:18, reminded me that heaven will be beyond my wildest dreams.
For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
-Romans 8:18
Paul was no stranger to suffering. By the time he wrote Romans, he knew what it was like to be beaten, persecuted, near death, shunned… Perhaps some of you know what it is like to have sufferings that are overwhelming and seemingly unbearable. Weigh your sufferings, however mighty or overwhelming they might be and then try to imagine heaven. It is not even comparable!!! Heaven is not just a consolation prize for saints who have served their time on planet earth; it is what God had planned in the first place, a place full of love and peace and God’s very glory. Not only is heaven the opposite of suffering, but it is monumentally immeasurable, incomprehensible, and far beyond any of our wildest dreams.

No comments: