Friday, January 20, 2006

Stranger Things...

A few short years ago, I knew very little about the continent of Africa. I had a friend who had discipled me in high school who was a missionary there, but I had no other ties to that part of the world. It is strange now to think of all the ties I have over there. In fact, at this very moment, I have many friends, and even family traveling and serving God in Africa. Emily, Katie, and Emily’s parents are on a trip in Nigeria (Cameroon’s neighbor and close cultural cousin). They are doing medical work and helping out some of the long term missionaries who serve there. Sharon is serving with the Freisens in Big Bekondo, Cameroon, teaching their daughter Rachel and gaining some valuable insight into linguistics along the way. I am sure that her help is invaluable to the Scots and Freisens, who are in Big Bekondo long-term. Robyn is visiting Northern Cameroon with a group of North Americans and Ray and Paula, some friends of mine who are opening up a new field in the far north. Pray for them as they travel the area, praying 5 times a day and hoping to form some relationships with Muslims. And you know that my parents are in Cameroon. They are with my good friends Barry and Desma, and new friends Nathan and Laurel. And of course there are all the missionaries that I met in Cameroon.
What is really strange though, is the tie that I feel with the Baka pygmies of Southern Cameroon. I used to look at pictures of people like the Baka, who live the same way that they lived thousands of years ago, who would be called savage and uncivilized, people who you see in National Geographic. In fact, the Baka were featured in National Geographic several years ago. Now, when I look back at old pictures and home video of the people that I got to spend so much time with, I wonder at that strange world that God brought me to and has caused me to love so much, and I even wonder if He will really allow me to go back and continue to work toward accomplishing the Great Commission among them. Stranger things have happened.

No comments: