Sunday, October 21, 2007

Transitions

I was going over some material from our first module today, and I found something that I want to share.

When I first went to Cameroon, I experienced a strange phenomenon. As time drew close for me to leave, some people grieved openly and said heartfelt, genuine goodbyes, and others just closed off, unwilling to invest any more in our relationship. It was an exciting time, full of new adventures, but it was also difficult, due to strained relationships. I noticed the same thing happening when I left for Southern California for school, at the end of each school year, and each time I changed employment and/or moved. In short, leaving others behind has become a painfully familiar theme in my life. It comes with the territory, but that doesn’t make it any easier.

I know that my family and friends also grieve each time we must separate, and they don’t get to be the one going to a new and exciting place.

Taking leave of loved ones is only one aspect of the changes that become all too familiar to a missionary. Many things are lost, many things change, and many things simply end. I have to come to grips with the fact that even the loss of insignificant things like my kitchen in Manteca, may be painful. Then I have to deal with changes in climate, culture, language, cleanliness, and privacy. All these changes precipitate an internal transition from what I know now to reality in my new place. This takes time, but knowing what is happening makes a difference in understanding how to make a good, though not painless, transition.

Through this portion of class, I realized that I have been undergoing almost constant transition for the last 8 years. No wonder I feel homeless sometimes!

Transition involves many endings, a long unsettled neutral zone, and many new beginnings. Transition is not over until the new beginnings begin to normalize and I become settled once more. I am looking forward to ending this time of transitions soon, and settling down to my home in Cameroon. Home, that sounds good!

Lord, until I reach my final home, my real home with you, help me to live well in the many transitions that you have given to me.

Credit goes to G. Schultz at Center for Intercultural Training for many of the ideas expressed in this entry.

1 comment:

Kathy LeBarron said...

Well said my friend. You know you really are quite eloquent. It must be the artist in you.