Tuesday, December 24, 2019

A friend and brother in Christ died last night, and I can’t fathom why God allowed this to happen


He wasn’t always a friend, and he wasn’t always a brother. Just a few years ago, he was an angry, violent, impulsive man. He assaulted people on a fairly regular basis. He beat his wife with sad frequency, nearly killing her once. He kept young Baka boys in a kind of willing slavery, exchanging cool clothes and shoes, drugs, and alcohol for their worship and free labor. And then, when they genuinely needed help with something, he would abandon them. He testified later about himself that he was “a very bad man.”
But then something changed. Our neighbors spent time with him, slowly witnessing to him about our Savior, and one day he wanted to attend our Bible study time. I didn’t believe it when I heard. I said, “no, not him!” But he came, and he humbly listened, learned, participated in the study of God’s Word. And he changed. Dramatically.
He began to serve and cherish his wife. He truly took care of and guided the boys that he had under his roof. He humbly did menial tasks for others. He gave up his seat in church for a woman who was socially much lower than he was. He broke up fights and restored peace. He led by example. He humbly instructed others in the Word of God. He joyfully worshiped God. Lately, I've found myself depending on him for help in certain situations, as he had shown himself faithful. He became a man of God.
Once, his father, who is not a believer, thanked me for the change in his son’s life. I quickly directed the praise to God, knowing that I really had nothing to do with the transformation that took place in that young man’s heart and life. But doesn’t that speak volumes?
He was Bakoum, married to a Baka wife. Normally this is a sad state of affairs for the Baka wife, as she is socially much lower than the Bakoum. And this was the case for several years. She was mistreated by her in-laws, shunned by his family, and treated as a servant with benefits by her husband. Until Christ changed their lives. After Christ, her status improved, at least in the eyes of her husband.
And he recently worked hard to purchase a motorcycle. He used it to help others, transporting a very sick kid to us for treatment once a week, giving people rides, etc...
He purchased a helmet as well. But last night he wasn’t wearing it.
I don’t know how the accident happened. He was giving a friend and his wife a ride to see a sick relative. They arrived at their destination, but they didn't make it home. There were 5 souls on the motorcycle. We were told that everyone was killed, but when we arrived at the hospital, everyone was still living, but only one small boy was conscious.
I checked on my friend first. His breathing pattern indicated a severe head injury. I braced myself for the inevitable. The couple he was transporting also had severe head injuries. They were sewing up a scalp wound on the wife. The little boy was in the pediatrics ward by himself. He was in pain and didn’t want to interact with me, but I could see that he would be ok, so I returned to the others who were more critical. I watched the baby take her last breaths. And then I noticed that my friend and brother was no longer breathing. Death is so raw in this place. I couldn’t cry. I still haven’t. Maybe that will come.
We spent the rest of the night attending to the couple, transporting them a larger hospital, going from emergency room to the cashier to recovery to pharmacy to the cashier again, and so it continued. They didn’t regain consciousness, but they didn’t get any worse either. Emergency care here is so inefficient, so devoid of concern and love, so brutal, and usually so financially inaccessible to average people. That’s how we were able to serve the victims of this tragic accident.
We came home with the little boy, and left him in the care of his family, as they sat up all night mourning the loss of his baby sister. He had been so brave, but the tears came when he arrived home. What a horrible reality he woke up to this morning.
But I don’t understand. Why would God allow this to happen? Why did my friend and brother have to die? When he had quickly, humbly become a leader in our little Baka church. When he was one of the only Bakoum believers. When his wife had enjoyed true love and care from her husband. Their child will likely be claimed by the husband’s family, and his wife, who lost everything she had in this world last night, will lose her only child as well.
I don’t understand why You have allowed this to happen, Lord. But I will trust You. I will testify of Your goodness. I will continue to tell others about the amazing transformation that You brought about in this dear brother’s life. I will thank You that I have the assurance he is with You now. I will do my best to love all those who were touched by this tragedy. And I will wait, expectantly, watching to see what good You will weave out of the strands of pain that surround us. There are two more souls laying in hospital beds, Lord, clinging to life. They are far from You, but You are near, listening and waiting for them to call upon You. Please save them. Please cause them to glorify You. I plead with You, not just for their physical healing, but for their very souls.
Though I don’t understand, You are Good, Lord. My faith is in You alone.

1 comment:

Diwakar said...

Hello Jenn. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privielged and honpured to get connected with you as well as know you and about your love and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ. I am so moved by your blog post on a friend and brother in Christ died and you could not fathom why God allowed it to happen. Yes you are so true to your reaction and it happens in the life of many people where we do not have answer but God allows it to happen and he has purpose to take us through such painful time. In my church similar thing happened where a young man was a medical doctor and was riding his motorbike and suddenly met with an accident and lost his life. His wife and two teen aged children were in shock. His wife who also a medical doctor has been a new christian and has been longing to grown in the Lord and unexpectedly finds her husband going to be with the Lord. Difficult to understand but since God is in control one has to accept ihe truth. Well I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 40 yrs in this grewat city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live,. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai to work with us during your vacation time. Iam sure you will have a life changing experiecne. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Wishing you and your family a blessed and a Christ centered New year 2020. Looking forward to hear from you very soon.