Saturday, October 15, 2005

They travel in waves?

When I was in an eighth grade science class, we studied light and sound. The basic concepts were easy enough to understand, but I was really confused about how light and sound travel. The best my instructor could do was to tell me that they travel in waves. Being a very concrete person, I still have difficulty with that concept. I can't see the waves, so they are hard to imagine. Those were the days that light, sound, radio, and television traveled in waves. It was amazing to me that these waves traveled so fast, and that they didn't get in the way of each other, and that they could contain so much information. And then there was the telephone. If it was difficult for me to understand the concept of waves traveling through air, it was even harder to understand how verbal messages could be transmitted back and forth through a little cable. How does that cable get a voice to travel along it so quickly, and how does it know where to send its message? As if all of that were not confusing enough; now we have cell phones and wireless computers. I don't suppose that I will ever understand it. I guess I should just be grateful for the technology. God created an awesome world for us to live in. His creation is so complex and beautiful that it would be foolish to suggest that it could have begun any other way besides God's design. He also created us with amazing brains. Some people are so smart that they can even figure out things like wireless technology.

No comments: