Thursday, March 16, 2006

The Maribo

Please lift up the Baka team in prayer. Here is thier latest email prayer update:

The Maribo (The healer):

Several nights ago a woman came to our door asking if I would give her and her family a ride to the Baka encampment just down the road from us. I knew that her son was very sick with Tuberculosis and, in reality, couldn't endure the 3 kilometer hike so I said yes.

Soon I realized the reason for the trip. A man who is well known for his ability to heal was there. I was asked to give money so that he could start treating the boy.

My first intuition was that this man was no ordinary doctor. I asked a few questions to see what the course of the treatment might be. It didn't take long before I learned the information that confirmed my suspicions. The man is a seer as well as a healer. He is supposedly able to determine whether sorcery is the cause of the illness and who might be at fault. I declined to give money- saying that I am not at liberty to give money for this because I am under the authority of the one true God.

I returned home and throughout the night we could hear drums reverberating from the camp as it was a clear night. We wondered what was happening, as this continued until very early in the morning.

The next morning we heard that the 'healer' had successfully pulled something black out of the boy's stomach. Also all of the people were asked to reach their arms over the fire to determine if anyone played a part in his sickness. We were also told that the ritual would continue that night and that we were invited.

The hardest thing that we were facing was the support the 'healer' has even among those that frequent our small church on Sunday mornings. They were confused at our reluctance to give our support; one even saying that this man is given his powers by God. So we had a decision to make- to go or not to go. We discussed it as a team and as families and prayed together over the decision, knowing that this matter was of significant importance.

Part II in a couple of days.

For His Glory,

Barry, Desma, Brianna, and Brendan

No comments: