Thursday, March 16, 2006

Prayer

Through a recent email dialog with a friend, I have realized again the power and importance of prayer. Through this and some other correspondence, I have begun to come to grips with the lack of prayer in my own life. It's silly. I have seen first hand some very amazing answers to my own prayerful petitions. I have experienced the benefit of being in the prayers of others. I have learned to really enjoy praying, both with others and by myself. Why then, do I neglect prayer?
Well, sometimes it is because I feel that I am not worthy to approach the throne of God. ...a silly thing indeed if Christ really died to redeem my life. At other times I am too busy or tired or I occupy my time with much less important things. How can I put more value on these less important things when I have seen and experienced the power of prayer?
You know, it is so amazing to me that our prayers should affect the actions of an omnipotent God. It's as if the mailroom guy is asking the CEO for certain improvements in the company. Of course, the CEO knows better how to run the company, but he waits for the mailroom guy to ask anyway. God is glorified by our answered prayers. We ask Him to work in someone's life or ministry and we can't help but glorify Him for the actions we see Him take. Our prayers adjust our vision, so that we can see God working.
I've made a new resolution to be more faithful in prayer. Feel free to keep me accountable to this decision. And pray that God would give me the diligence and resolve that I need to accomplish this.

Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor; not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer, contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality.
Romans 12:10-13

No comments: