Sunday, April 16, 2006

Automobile Annoyance

I got a letter from a friend the other day telling of how difficult it is to get work done on a vehicle in a third-world country. She was fortunate to break down near a village, but unfortunate that she was not near a larger town or a cell phone tower. However, she did manage to get the car worked on by a competent mechanic. She spoke of finding a mechanic who literally does all of his work under a shade tree and uses rudimentary security precautions such as locking up the spare tire inside of the vehicle to prevent theft. I was impressed at just how much he was able to do with his meager resources, but it seems that he was able to get the job done.
In contrast, I broke down three weeks ago just across the street from a modern auto shop. They were able to fix my car quickly and competently and I was back on the road 3 days later. However, my car broke down again in just a few days. Consequently, 2 weeks and 3 mechanic shops later, I should be driving my car again soon. I hope when I am in Cameroon, God will provide help like the mechanic that my friend ran into.

No comments: