Monday, May 29, 2006

Patient

Pronunciation: 'pA-sh&nt
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English pacient, from Middle French, from Latin patient-, patiens, from present participle of pati to suffer; perhaps akin to Greek pEma suffering
1 : bearing pains or trials calmly or without complaint
2 : manifesting forbearance under provocation or strain
3 : not hasty or impetuous
4 : steadfast despite opposition, difficulty, or adversity
5 a : able or willing to bear

I've discovered something interesting and unfortunate about human nature. You see, the ER is a working environment that brings out the best and worst in people. I find that many of the people that I work with are either quite loving and compassionate with patients or very cynical with them. We deal with many people who are scared, tired and frustrated with what ever illness that they are dealing with. They want answers and a miracle cure, stat. Many times their expectations exceed our ability, causing a conflict of interest. Not only that, but we usually have a waiting room filled with the sick and wounded and no room in the inn. It is not uncommon for us to have more patients than we have patience for. ...So it should not be surprising to see staff become cynical and uncompassionate instead of caring and patient.
I'm not immune to this paradox. I've found myself resenting patients at times just for coming in. My prayer lately is that God would replace my hard heart with a piece of His own and give me a willingness and desire to serve my patients and coworkers in whatever capacity needed in spite of the hardships or frustrations I encounter.

No comments: