Wednesday, June 28, 2006

No Hero Here

When I tell people that I am a nurse, they usually gain an attitude of respect. When I add that I work in the ER, some have romantic images of heroism and glory. Well, there’s no hero here. Don’t get me wrong. We do everything that you see on TV shows like ER and Scrubs (the medical stuff, I mean). We treat everything from cuts and scrapes to massive heart attacks. The truth of the matter is that without our intervention, many of our patients would not have lived. But the heroic attitude, the “congratulations, you saved that man’s life,” the sense of fulfillment and peace that you would expect after a particularly difficult case was resolved just doesn’t exist. We’re expected to save lives. It’s part of the job description. People just aren’t very impressed when you do what is expected from you.

It seems like the same thing happens in ministry. A pastor, minister, or missionary is expected to change lives. A church that is not growing or making changes in the community is seen as a failure. A missionary who doesn’t report converts sometimes seems like he is not worth his financial support. But when churches do grow and conversions do happen, we often take it for granted. I mean, really, isn’t ministry the job of a minister? Do they really need to be congratulated for doing their job? The truth is that it is a hard job and a little recognition and glory would be nice.

But the glory doesn’t belong to us.

We live in a world of hurting people, people who desperately need God. Our job is to help direct them toward Him. He’s the One who does the real work of saving lives, and He should get all of the glory.

Lord, thank you for saving me. I’m sorry that I am so hard hearted most of the time and that I take for granted all that You have given to me. Please forgive me. Be glorified in all that You’ve done in my life. And Lord, help me to give all the glory to you when the life that you have given me somehow makes a difference in someone else’s life. I am no hero. That job is yours.

No comments: