Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A River of Sparrows?

I saw a very odd sight today. I was driving not far from work when I spotted what could have been a swarm of locusts, only the locusts were very large. I nearly wanted to start batting at the air around my ears to keep them from landing on me. Of course, I knew that they were birds (sparrows I think), and that they were very unlikely to land on me. What was spectacular was the way that they were moving, like a giant current waving to and fro, and in spite of flying in very close proximity to each other and constantly changing direction, they did not collide with one another. Several minutes later I found myself driving back in the direction of these remarkable birds and discovered that I was not just watching an enormous flock of sparrows, but a grand river of thousands, if not millions, of feathered fliers all working together in one great entity. I continued to watch as I waited at a stoplight and noticed that the river of birds continued on both sides until they just faded into the sky. There were so many of them, that I could not see the beginning or the end of this grand river. WOW!!!

This great river of sparrows reminded me of the birds of the air in Matthew 6:25-34. Isn’t it wonderful how each and every one of those little birds is cared for by God? Even more wonderful is how God provides for each one of His children as we pursue His kingdom.

No comments: