Sunday, March 18, 2007

Delayed

What an adventure this trip has been so far.  And I have not even boarded a plane.  I am currently sitting in the SFO airport waiting for a plane that has been delayed for about 1 ½ hours (so far).  Dad and Mom were gracious enough to drop me off at the airport with my roller luggage and my Rubbermaid tub.  I proceeded to the e-ticket check-in, where I was told by the computer that I would have to check in at the international terminal since my destination is international.  That made sense to me, so I made my way to the appropriate terminal, with some difficulty.  I was unable to find the correct airline at the international terminal, so I wrestled my luggage back down to the domestic terminal.  I was able to check in without difficulty this time and relieve myself of my checked luggage.  I was a little worried about whether my luggage was within the 50 pound allowance and was greatly relieved to see that both pieces weighed 50 pounds exactly.  I proceeded through security without incident and went to my gate to await the plane. 

At about the time that I was supposed to board the plane, I was told that the flight would be delayed about 35 minutes.  After that, I was told that it would be delayed 1 hour more.  As I sit in this packed area of the airport, I have become aware that there are quite a few people affected by this change of plans.  One man sitting across from me is becoming very agitated.  Others are frantically making plans for their domestic connections. 

But praise God for giving me peace regarding this situation.  I will miss my flight into Brussels and also the flight into Douala, but there is another flight that will go to Paris and on to Douala.  My hope is that I will be able to take that flight and be only one day late.

Update at 10 pm Central time:

I'm now in Chicago after a late, but uneventful flight.  I missed both the flight to Brussels and also the alternative flight to Paris today, but I will be able to fly to Paris tomorrow and on to Douala the next day.  I'll only be one day late.  Praise God for keeping me so calm during this adjustment in my itinerary.  Praise Him also for some time to chill tonight and tomorrow before I fly again.

No comments: