Thursday, January 24, 2008

Sing to the Lord

For years I have believed that King David must have been bipolar. When I read his writings in Psalms and studied his life in I&II Samuel, I noticed that he had very high highs and very low lows. He was either praising God exuberantly or he was in the depths of despair. He was probably just a charismatic personality, and things weren't worth writing down unless they were something that he felt deeply about. Whether coming from a high or a low, David usually came back to a correct perspective of God. Psalm 13 was a good reminder of God's unfailing love today.

Psalm 13

For the choir director: A psalm of David.
1 O LORD, how long will you forget me? Forever?
How long will you look the other way?
2 How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul,
with sorrow in my heart every day?
How long will my enemy have the upper hand?

3 Turn and answer me, O LORD my God!
Restore the sparkle to my eyes, or I will die.
4 Don't let my enemies gloat, saying, "We have defeated him!"
Don't let them rejoice at my downfall.

5 But I trust in your unfailing love.
I will rejoice because you have rescued me.
6 I will sing to the LORD
because he is good to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

feed the fish and turtles.

Love you most

Anonymous said...

Hello from the Slates in recently sunny, now very windy Dublin!

Don'tcha think David just felt deeply? Like a very abstract random kind of guy?

Now studying the Psalms of Ascent and the journey from WOE to PRAISE. I'm so thankful for the range of emotion penned by the Psalmists - a very good proof, I think, that having highs and lows, even under grace, is normal and not abhorrent to God. It's a good thing for me!

And it's good to sing to the Lord, no matter your condition.