Monday, January 21, 2008

The Mantle

Today I watched The Lord of the Rings – The Fellowship of the Ring. You know, I think every one of us can identify with Frodo Baggins at some point. Often he pauses, and the look on his face says it all. “Why was this burden given to me. I cannot carry it alone. I am weak and I fight against such darkness.” His struggle with his responsibility drives him to the brink of giving up, but his resolve is strong, and he continues, supported by the few who call themselves the fellowship.

We have also been given a burden to bear. Ours is not an instrument of great evil, but it carries power greater than Frodo could ever imagine. It is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It doesn’t bring destruction, unnatural long-life, or division. No, it brings hope, abundant life, and unity. It is the very love of God poured out for us.

Often I wonder why I was chosen to carry this load. I consider giving up, but though my resolve is weak, my Sustainer is the source of all strength. There is nothing else to do in this life but carry the mantle of the Gospel. Those of us who do so bear the title of Beloved. He does not promise a life without struggle. His promise is to see us safely home. Home to the place that He has prepared for us.

1 comment:

Hannah Murray said...

Thanks for the reminder, Jenn. The burden is heavy these days but He is worth it.