Saturday, February 16, 2008

Disappointment

What do you do with disappointment? Does it cast a gray hue over everything or is it an anomaly that can be learned from, overlooked, or even treasured? Does it drive you to seek God? Does it bring about uncomfortable emotions that you would like to avoid, but you know you must deal with? Does it sometimes come in waves, one annoying event after another, until you think you might break under the pressure?

We all deal with disappointment and frustration from time to time. Last night, I found out that my support level dropped from 90% to 76%, thanks to the weakening of the US dollar. I knew this was coming. My field director warned me that my support level would have to be adjusted, but it was still a shock to see the actual numbers. This came just after I decided to postpone language school until May, when the next class starts. Everything that I have been doing as of late has been for the purpose of getting to Cameroon as soon as possible. Naturally, anything that postpones my departure will be a disappointment.

But in the midst of all this disappointment, I know that God is in control. If He wanted me to be at language school in two weeks, He would make sure it happened. He’s really good at pulling stringsJ Instead, I have a new opportunity. I am now freed up to go to a training for medical missionaries. This is something that I have wanted to do, but had scheduling conflicts with other commitments. So, here I am, disappointed, frustrated, but thankful that God has my best interest at heart.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.

Proverbs 3:5-6

1 comment:

Jyll said...

That can be a difficult thing, but God's timing is perfect. I am glad you are looking at these new events with a positive prospective. Remember, our God is the God of Miracles, so if He wants you in Cameroon sooner rather than later, it will happen.
God bless you.