Sunday, January 25, 2009

Surrender

In September, as I started another school year with 30 other French language students and 45 Bible school students, I attended a chapel as I did each week. Mark brought us a challenge; to be completely surrendered to Jesus Christ. He showed us a yellow piece of paper taped to the inside back cover of His Bible which said, “All that I am… all that I have… all that I hope to become… I consecrate now and forever to the Lord Jesus Christ for His glory and for His service, completely and unconditionally.” It was signed and dated and served as a reminder of the commitment that he made to Christ many years ago. I had made the same commitment to Christ long ago, but God was prompting me to renew my vow once more. So, I picked up a small piece of yellow paper from the front of the classroom and sought out two witnesses to sign it with me. It was then tucked away in my Bible. Frequently I pull that little piece of paper out and read it over, many times with tears in my eyes as I think about the fact that the sacrifice of my life is so small in comparison with the reward of being a child of God. The day I left Quebec, I found that pledge tucked snugly next to Psalm 34. With tears streaming down my face I turned to the two young ladies who had signed the little yellow paper with me, and I said with trembling voice, “today I live this.” Even now, as I write this, my heart is filled with so many emotions. I am heartbroken to have left so many places and so many dear people. I am overjoyed to have finally arrived in Cameroon after years of preparation. I am intimidated by the task of learning Baka language and culture. I am comforted to be part of an amazing team of missionaries. And though I can be so unfaithful, I am amazed at God’s faithfulness and love.

3 comments:

Laurel Conrod said...

We are overjoyed too, that you have made it to Cameroon after such a long journey. You made it!!! We praise God for what He has done and is doing in you and we know that great things will happen because of your faithfulness. Can't wait to see you. Love, the conrods

Tara said...

good post jenn. so glad to hear you have made it = )

Stephanie said...

Jenn. I so happy for you! Its amazing to think back and remember how long ago you felt drawn to Camaroon. You are an example of faithfulness. Your faith, love, values, and sincerity are felt in each posting. What a blessing you are to me and all who know you.