Monday, February 02, 2009

What I Learned in School Today

In August of 2001 I went back to school for the express purpose of preparing for the mission field. With nursing school, support raising, mission training, French language learning, and various other trainings and activities, it has taken until now to finally be prepared enough to arrive in Cameroon. So now the learning is finished and I can start this ministry that I have been preparing for so long, right? Well, no, and yes…
Today I started reading a little booklet entitled “Language Learning IS Communication- IS Ministry!” by E. Thomas Brewster and Elizabeth S. Brewster. It talks about how important it is to learn the language and the culture of a target people group. It emphasizes the importance of taking the humble posture of a learner. As a cross-cultural missionary, I cannot pretend to know better how to speak or act in my new culture than the people that I have come to minister to. I have lots of knowledge to share, and a big part of my job here is sharing information, but I am not the ultimate authority on everything. If a foreign missionary were to come to California, he or she would have to earn the respect of those in my home town before having an effective ministry. That respect is not earned by proudly showing how much knowledge one has, but by placing value and importance in the language and the culture of local people.
So my job, as a foreign missionary is to be a learner, for now and forever. No matter how proficient I become in Baka, no matter how many years I am here, no matter how well I do my job, I will always be an outsider and I must always take the posture of a learner. My hope is that by taking that humble posture, I will show God’s love to those around me.

No comments: