Wednesday, February 04, 2009

A Dusty Jog

Today I went jogging on a dusty road carved through the rainforest. For some that would be a once in a lifetime experience, and a dream come true. For me, it is a dream come true, but it is also “just life.” While we were jogging, I commented to my teammate that it sure was nice out today, and she responded by pointing out how cool it is to be able to jog through the rainforest like we do. I agree! As we ran today, I enjoyed the tranquility of birds flitting about, the majesty of some scattered remaining canopy trees and the company of a friend.
The road that leads to our house is much different than I remember it. It has not been maintained in some time, so there are large ruts, potholes and boulders scattered here and there, and the surrounding forest is fast encroaching in on it. If it were not being used at all, I bet the road would completely surrender to the rainforest in a matter of just a couple months.
Today was an overcast day. It was still warm, like it usually is here, but we did not have the dry season sun that is so common this time of year. In fact, even though it is dry season, we have had several hard rains. I think it is quite nice, as the rain keeps the dust level down, but I hope the unusual weather is not affecting the local agriculture.

1 comment:

Laurel Conrod said...

I can't wait to jog with you!