Saturday, August 11, 2007

By the Grace of God

During a daily Bible study today in Genesis 47:7-10, I was challenged to think of how I would describe my years and who I wish I measured up to. By God’s great grace, I was unable to think of any truthful, long-reaching, negative aspects of the life God gave me. Neither was I able to think of anyone who’s shoes I wish I was in. I certainly see many character flaws in my own life. Likewise, I have seen many attributes of others that I wish to emulate, but that was not the purpose of this exercise. Through this exercise, God showed me how His own hand has been working divinely through every moment of this life, directing me to the things that He has for me to do for His own glory. Sure, there have been moments, even years, in my life that were less than ideal, difficult times that were certainly unwelcome, but God has redeemed each one to His own glory. He’s used them to form me and to bring me even closer to Himself. Praise God for His infinite wisdom and His sovereignty over every moment and every circumstance.

*grace - favor or kindness shown without regard to the worth or merit of the one who receives it and in spite of what that person deserves. Grace is one of the key attributes of God.

*sovereignty of God - a theological term that refers to the unlimited power of God, who has sovereign control over the affairs of nature and history (Is. 45:9–19; Rom. 8:18–39).

*Redeem - to free or deliver, usually by paying a price.

No comments: