Monday, March 10, 2008

Comissioning and More Goodbyes

Sunday I was honored to be commissioned by my home church of Calvary Community. It truly was an honor to be prayed for in front of the congregation, but the highlight was the opportunity to talk to individuals between services. As always, it was both an honor and a humbling experience, as it is at these times that I am acutely aware that I am just a normal human being. I am nothing special, except for what God has done in me. I serve Him, not because I have to, but because I get to. He doesn't need me, but He chooses to use me to pronounce His kingdom. What an honor.
After church, I hurried over to a potluck with some extended family. We don't get to see each other very often any more, but my impending departure was a good excuse to get together, and I had a great time. It was truly bittersweet to say goodbye to some loved ones who I will not see for a few years.
On my way back home, I used the opportunity to snap a few more pictures of the almond blossoms. Most of them have already fallen from the trees. I love the way the trees are planted in perfect rows, the allusion of snow on the ground as the blossoms fall, and the contrasting strips of green grass between the rows. You might find it funny, but the almond blossoms are a big part of my heritage. I remember going to my Great Grandmother's house every year to watch the annual almond blossom parade. We would sit on folding chairs on the sidewalk and snack on yummy things like grandma's cookies and cream puffs. Sometimes we would visit the bake sale, art show, or other events that went on during the celebration. Grandma VanderVeen had a giant stuffed almond king in her back room, and our family was always somehow involved in the festivities. Those are old memories now, but I get a little nostalgic when I see the trees turn white.


No comments: