Monday, April 16, 2007

developing

(originally sent 3/30/07)
It's so strange to be in Cameroon now after being absent for 6 years.  I've heard that everyone has cell phones now and that many more things are available in country, but I didn't realize the extent of it.  When I arrived, I was surprised that all my missionary friends had cell phones.  Since I got to spend a few extra days in Douala and Yaoundé, I also got to see what else was available in country.  The biggest category of change for me is the availability of western-style food.  Many items are available in the bigger cities, but even in Bertoua, the small capital of our province, you can find many more things than before.  I was especially surprised to discover that there is a functional market in Dimako, which is just a few minutes from us.  I guess I should have expected a developing country to continue developing, but this is a sweet surprise that should make life and ministry in Cameroon a little easier.

No comments: