Monday, April 16, 2007

Arrival

Because of an email glitch, I wasn't able to send out updates while in Cameroon.  The next few entries will catch you up a little.

(originally sent 3/26/07)
March 20, 2007
Sometimes a trip goes quite smoothly and nothing really goes wrong to speak of.  Other times, it seems that one problem leads to another.  In spite of all the obstacles that have been in the way on this trip, I have safely arrived in Cameroon!!!
It is so good to finally be here!
I was met at the airport by an unexpected friend named Paul.  He was waiting for me and introduced himself as someone who was sent to collect me and attends the Baptist church here.  Paul is an employee of the airport, so he was able to navigate the airport system much better than I would have alone.  By the time I passed through customs and came to the baggage claim area, there were a swarm of porters who earn their money by handling baggage for arriving passengers.  They are quite forceful and are hard bargainers at times, so I was grateful to Paul for acting as porter, personal security, and friend as we waited for baggage. 
Unfortunately, we waited in vain.  My bags were delayed in Chicago.  It is interesting that they should be left in Chicago; since I made a point of inquiring after my luggage after learning that the system had somehow kicked me off of the flight (they were able to give me a new seat assignment).  I was assured that the bags had, in fact, been loaded onto the plane.  Another reason I find it interesting is that the American carrier was the airline that lost the bags.  In Cameroon, Air France is known affectionately as "Air Chance," since it is likely that if you loose bags it will be with Air France.  I lost a bag with them last time I came to Cameroon, but it seems they are not to blame this time.  We will meet Paul at the airport again tomorrow to look for my bags. 
The Abbotts were certainly a sight for sore eyes as I left the airport.  Though I expected the kids to have grown since I last saw them, I was surprised to see how big they have gotten.  Brianna, as I was warned, is a great conversationalist and comes up with tall tales to impress the listener.  She is tall and thin like her mother and has beautiful blond hair with short, soft curls.  Brendan is a picture of boyhood.  He is also tall, robust, with a great big smile, and a strikingly handsome face.  Like his sister, he also has curly blond hair.  Both children are quite well behaved and likable. 
As always, it was good to see Barry and Desma.  Desma has been a close friend since the moment I set foot off the plane on my first trip to Cameroon.  She was a single missionary on the Baka team back then, but has since married (ask me about the story someday).  Barry is also quite easy to be friends with, and both Barry and Desma complement each other very well.  We are staying at a European Baptist guesthouse in Douala to wait for my bags.  I am already enjoying the Abbotts laid-back attitude toward life in Cameroon, and of course, their hospitality.  We stopped by a local bakery and got an assortment of dinner pastries, a sandwich, and some beignets (donuts) with chocolate spread for dinner.  I very much enjoyed our meal together, and then got a much needed shower.  We sat around and talked for a little while, and then it was off to bed.
I woke in the middle of the night tonight to the warm stickiness in the air here in Douala.  It is raining outside tonight, and the sound of the water hitting the buildings and the ground drowns out all other sounds of this busy port city.  It's a heavy rain by North American standards, but doesn't even compare to some of the downpours that I have experienced in the rain forest.
It's currently 3 am in Cameroon, and I started this update hoping that I could cause myself to be sleepy enough to return to bed and sleep the rest of the night, so I better go now and attempt to rest a little before morning.

March 22, 2007
After going to the airport 2 more times to pick up the luggage, we finally gave up.  We were being told, "It will surely come tomorrow" each time.  We figured that the expense of time and money by staying in Douala was not worth the wait and decided to continue on to the village and collect the bags as I come through on my way to the other end of the country. 
However, as we were approaching Yaoundé, we decided to ask another missionary named Dean who would be at the airport to look for the bags for us.  He generously said yes, and we decided to spend the day in Yaoundé, running some errands and getting supplies that are not available in our area.  This evening, as we were having dinner, we got a call from Dean saying that the luggage did finally come in and to expect it to arrive in Yaoundé at 8:30 in the morning by the SIL plane.  Yeah!!  Oh, and we even discovered a new place to stay in town.
Of course, God had something to teach me in this process (and I don't think it was patience).  I have come to Cameroon to investigate the process of entering into ministry among some people who have very little.  They are fortunate if they have a worn-out pair of flip-flops.  I have been walking around for the last six days on a warn out pair of flip-flops and wondering what I will do without my tennis shoes.  I've also been surviving for the last 6 days on 2 changes of clothes.  The Baka do not even have the amount of belongings that I have been toting around for the last week.  So, if I arrive in Mayos without my precious luggage, it will be OK. 
But, praise God, barring any unforeseen change in plans, I will have that luggage tomorrow and we will finally travel to Mayos.  I'll enjoy presenting the things that were packed so carefully and with such enjoyment to the Baka missionary team and to the Baka.

March 25, 2007
Home.  That's what this place feels like.  As I looked out of the window of the vehicle yesterday, I marveled anew at the grand trees, the African landscape, the giant hornbills flying in the sky, and village after village on this long, dusty, orange road.  I couldn't help but smile as I thanked God for that moment.  And just a few short hours later we pulled into our destination.  I waved warmly, but tentatively at old Baka friends, wondering what their reaction would be to my arrival.  'Will they remember me?' 'Will they care that I am here?' 'Will they wonder what kept me away for so long?' 'Will I greet them appropriately?'  I felt as if I was beaming with happiness and relief as I approached the mbanjo (a small shaded shelter made of poles and leaves) where a few Baka were gathered.  Lendo was the first to greet me and her greeting was as warm and welcoming as I could have hoped for.  'Thank you God again for this moment.'  I exchanged the traditional greeting with several people before they settled back under the mbanjo.  Nathan immediately asked me what it felt like to be here.  I told him that I was not sure and I thought I was in shock.  What I meant to say was that I was relieved, at peace, and full of joy, but I didn't know how to say it just then.
I guess this field visit isn't the typical visit to gain knowledge about the people and ministry and be presented to the field leadership as an appointee.  Of course, those are elements of this visit, but I come into this situation having already formed relationships with all of these people and having received God's confirmation that this is where I am to serve Him.  What a relief.  I don't have to rush around learning as much as I can as fast as I can and impress as many people as I come into contact with.  I just get to spend some time with the Baka, the Baka team, and with the field leadership to solidify this process and complete some formalities.  Don't get me wrong.  This is an important trip.  I have already experienced God's hand in it changing me and directing me.  And the time with the Baka so far and with the team has been so great.  Keep praying that strong relationships will be formed, that I will be an encouragement to the Baka team, that the Baka would begin to understand that I have come because I love them and want to see them become children of God, and that God's hand would be in every aspect of this trip.

March 26, 2007
What a good couple of days it has been.  Yesterday, we went into town to attend an ordination ceremony in the Cameroon Baptist Convention (CBC) church in Bertoua.  As World Team missionaries, we are affiliated with the CBC, and are obligated to attend such ceremonies.  It was about a 45 minute drive from the village.  Bertoua is where I spent about half my time when I was in Cameroon last time.  The service was very good.  It lasted for about 4 hours total, but was very pleasant, and even the young children were able to behave for that long.  The service started a little late, so we decided to stop by a friend's house while we were waiting (in Cameroon, it is accepted, and almost expected, that people are late to such events).  When we arrived at church, we were seated outside under a shelter, since it was raining off and on.  We had some songs in English, some in French, and some in tribal languages.  There were 3 small choirs there to perform, and many pastors and dignitaries who had traveled from other areas of Cameroon.  We were honored and asked to stand so that the people could see who the missionaries to the Baka were.  Of course, they could easily pick us out by the color of our skin and our cultural awkwardness.  The sermon was about how God has called all of us to ministry and we must be faithful servants.  The pastor who gave the sermon was very clear that the sermon was not given just in honor of the pastor who was being ordained but that it was for all who were in attendance.  I was very pleased to hear this sermon, as I have never heard such an appropriate sermon from a Cameroonian pastor.  The last hour was spent inside the church building, where the "invited guests" took part in some refreshments.  The table was filled with all sorts of Cameroonian food, and it was a treat to get a taste of so many things that I will not be able to eat in the next few weeks.  I also got to greet some friends that I might not have gotten to see except for this event, so I really enjoyed myself.
Today was quite a contrast.  Instead of getting up and quickly getting ready for church, I was able to hang out with some of the Baka people who live around here.  The environment is so relaxed most of the time, and the missionaries and the Baka have a great relationship.  I was even been able to learn a little Baka language this morning without any help from the missionaries.  Can you tell that I am proud of myself?  I look forward to many more days like this, but wish I could be here longer than the 2 weeks that I am planning to stay in the village.  I am already trying to plan ways to speed my arrival in Cameroon as a career missionary.  Pray that I would remain focused and ask the right questions, and that God would give wisdom to my colleagues and myself as we look toward planning out the future.

No comments: