Saturday, April 19, 2008

Coffee

I have an announcement! I drank coffee today!!
OK, that announcement doesn't usually produce cheers and whoops of joy. In fact, most people would respond with a confused look. So, let me explain. Yesterday at dinner I spoke with my new French teacher. He was asking what my plans were for the evening. I responded that I would probably study. His response to me was that it was Friday night and I shouldn't be studying on Friday night, especially since classes haven't even started yet. I was reluctant at first, but with some prodding from another student, I decided that I really wasn't going to study.
You see, I have been expecting a lot from myself. I've been in Quebec for one week now, and I don't know French yet. Absurd, I know, but I fully expected to be able to understand people much better than I can, and I also expected that I would actually be able to contribute to conversations. So, in an effort to survive my experience here, I have been hitting the books hard, and being hard on myself when I don't understand or when I can't communicate well.
But, I have to remind myself that I am a language learner, and learning a language takes time. It will take time to get used to the Quebecois accent, to the slang, and to the speed of speech here (let alone to figure out the language itself).
Later yesterday evening, I read the blog of a friend, who, in the midst of many piles of things to do, decided that she would first have to just eat her strawberries. That inspired me. I decided that since I have not been fair to myself, I would set an attainable goal for myself. I thought about what would be attainable, practical, and enjoyable. Coffee! Perfect! I set a goal to drink coffee today. And guess what! I attained it! I am so proud of myself.
In addition to drinking my morning coffee, I also attended a conference on ministering to Muslims, attempted to go shopping with some friends, had some valuable conversations, attended a piano concert, and drank more coffee at Tim Hortons.
Ah, Timmy's. That is another Canadian thing of note. I guess the American equivalent to Tim Hortons would be a Dunkin' Donuts. Hmmm... I wonder if there were a competition between Timmy's and Dunkin' Donuts...Ah, it would probably be a draw, Eh?
Speaking of competitions, I just want to point out that the Americans won against Montreal today. Please pray for me, as I might get mobbed by angry hockey fans.

No comments: