Friday, April 25, 2008

Language Shock?

Language learning is a bit of a stressful experience. When one learns language by immersion (as I am doing), there is more than just the language to learn. I had a bit of a bad day yesterday. Quite honestly, I was at the edge of tears most of the day. For those of you who know me well, you know that I don't cry often. Fortunately, I benefited from the empathy of a few people who knew exactly what I was going through.
You see, as a language learner, I can really only function as a child. In fact, most of the time I can only function as an infant. However, I still have the responsibilities and desires of an adult. Many times I can't really understand what is going on around me. Even if I understand most the words spoken, I often misunderstand something or miss the meaning all together. One example is when Serge, the chef here, was joking with me yesterday. As he was dishing up some shepherd's pie he explained how he made it. He used a word that I didn't recognize, but I didn't think anything of it. I discovered later that he was telling me that he added glue to the meat. Oops, I was supposed to laugh at that:0)
To add to the stress, I am in a culture and land that I am not yet accustomed to. I don't know the names of streets or stores, and I don't always know the significance of local news. And in addition to that, I have given up much of my freedom to be here. Instead of having my own house and car, I've decided to live in the dorm and to sell my car. And as enjoyable as the Bible School students are here, they are still significantly younger than I am.

Please pray with me, that I would learn the French language quickly and well, and that I would also be able to rely on God in the rougher times. Also, pray that I would remember to set my mind on heavenly things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lift up your face towards God, and never, never give up. Take it from a fellow (former) missionary who had to deal with a couple of languages.

God bless you, Jenn... your wilingness to identify (through language among other things) will determine the mandate you will receive from the people to speak into their lives!

John