Saturday, April 12, 2008

Wide-Eyed Foreigner

I’ve made it!! My first destination after leaving California was North Carolina. I took a course called Missionary Medicine Intensive (MMI). I learned a ton, but still feel quite unprepared for the immense medical needs that I will no doubt encounter in Cameroon. The best part by far was the interaction with other missionaries.

After a very intense 12 days in North Carolina at Equip International for their Missionary Medicine Intensive, I flew to Quebec. The night of the 10th was spent in a hotel in Montreal, since it was too late to catch the bus to Sherbrooke. Yesterday, the 11th, I took the bus two hours and was met by the Christensens at the Sherbrooke bus station. It was so good to see familiar faces!

I am staying in the dorm with all of the Bible students, who speak French as their native tongue. The girls that I am staying with made a point to come greet me when I arrived. They are quite friendlyJ There is also another single gal, named Jen, staying in the dorm who is also studying French. I anticipate making a bunch of new friends here.

Yesterday, as I was making arrangements for the bus, I realized how foreign this little piece of North America is to me. I looked around, and everyone looked so American, but, in fact they were French speaking Quebec natives. I imagine that I probably resembled the foreigners that visit the United States, wide eyed and confused. But God is good, and He has provided for me a wonderful place to learn French and to make new friends. Soon I will be able to communicate with more ease and will know better how to navigate life in Quebec.

No comments: